Jobless rate falls to lowest point in 12 years!
Michigan's unemployment rate declined to 6.3 percent in December, the lowest monthly rate since November 2002. The decline represents a full two-point drop from December 2013.
State officials also noted that Michigan's labor market was particularly strong in the second half of 2014. I look forward to building on this good news and working to keep the momentum going. Bringing more jobs to our area remains one of my top priorities. New laws promote patient health
Few things are as important as the health and well-being of our loved ones. Legislation recently signed into law will:
May 5th Road Funding Ballot Proposal
- Better protect patrons from severe life-threatening allergic reactions by expanding restaurant food safety training to include allergen awareness (Senate Bill 730).
- Provide women with important information by requiring a patient to be notified when her mammogram shows dense breast tissue, a common occurrence but one that could make it more difficult to detect cancer (Senate Bill 879).
- Support the direct primary care model, providing Michigan residents the option to contract directly with health care providers for routine health care services (Senate Bill 1033).
My office has been receiving many letters and phone calls regarding the May 5th ballot proposal for increased sales tax to help pay for our deteriorating infrastructure. In order to provide some clarification to what is coming in May, please read a summary of what a support vote for the ballot proposal will accomplish. Read more. Free Fishing Weekend
Why not make it a special Valentine's Day weekend and head for the great outdoors? Michigan's annual Winter Free Fishing Weekend falls on February 14-15 this year.
All fishing license fees are waived for the two days. Residents and out-of-state visitors can enjoy fishing on both inland and Great Lakes waters for all species of fish. All fishing regulations will still apply. Visit www.michigan.gov/freefishing for more information, including details on special events. My Committees
I am honored to have been selected to sit on the following committees in the Michigan Senate:
Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (Chair)
Michigan Competitiveness (Vice Chair)
- Agriculture Appropriations Sub-Committee
- General Government (Chair)
Economic Development and International Investment
Natural Resources, Environment and Great Lakes