Senator Peter MacGregor
open in browser image


I will be holding office hours on Monday, May 18th from 3:00pm-5:00pm at Mr. Burger 5181 Northland Dr. NE, Grand Rapids 49525 off Beltline near Rockford.

I will be available to answer questions and respond to concerns any residents of the district may have.

This is an opportunity for local residents to meet with me to address issues related to state government. No appointment is necessary.

For more information or to contact my office, please visit or call 1-855-347-8028.


As the weather continues to improve and homeowners start improvement projects, the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs has offered up some important tips to avoid expensive remodeling and construction mistakes as well as information for when you are looking to hire a contractor.

Verify a Builder/Contractor License
Residential Builders and Maintenance and Alteration Contractors: An online license search is available at or by calling LARA's Corporations, Securities and Commercial Licensing Bureau at (517) 241-9288.

Electricians, plumbers and mechanical contractors are licensed by LARA's Bureau of Construction Codes and must have a license that corresponds to the work to be done. Mechanical contractors must also have the proper license classification. To verify license information go to: or call (517) 241-9313.

Don't pay for the entire job upfront
Customarily, one-third is paid in advance; one-third halfway through the job and one-third upon completion. Make the final payment only when the job is completed, you have inspected and approved the work, the job site has been cleaned up, and the suppliers and subcontractors have been paid as evidenced by waivers of lien. Do not pay with cash. Pay by check or credit card.

Don't forget your permit
Before starting a project, check with your local or state building department to determine if your project requires a permit. A permit is the legal permission to start construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and specifications and ensures it meets minimum safety standards. Proper permits and inspections help guard against defective work. Property insurers may not cover defective work, so the value of the property could be affected and problems may arise when the property is sold if permits are not obtained.

For even more information, please visit
Senator Peter MacGregor

State Sen. Peter MacGregor (pictured front row, right) poses for a photo with the 2015 Michigan High School Athletic Association Class B state champion boys basketball team from Wyoming Godwin Heights High School. MacGregor honored the team with a special tribute during Senate session Thursday, April 23, 2015.

MacGregor supports bill to help families of fallen safety officers

When there's an emergency, our first responders are on the front line, working to keep families, neighborhoods and communities safe. Many times, their efforts to help and protect others put their own lives at risk.

Senator MacGregor recently supported legislation that would provide health care coverage to the spouses and dependents of law enforcement officers, firefighters, rescue squad members or ambulance crew members who die in the line of duty. The medical benefit plan would be comparable to those of retired state police officers.

Senate Bill 218 would help ease the financial burden borne by the families of fallen safety officers and provide assistance during a difficult time.

The legislation has been sent to the Michigan House for consideration.

May is Military Appreciation Month

May is Military Appreciation Month, a time to recognize the service and sacrifice of our service members, veterans and their families.

Michigan's servicemen and servicewomen have a long history of representing our state with the highest standards of character and valor. Let's make sure our service members and veterans know how much we value their patriotism, sacrifice and dedication to our country!

A Pure Michigan summer awaits!

The 2015 Pure Michigan Spring/Summer Travel Guide is now available.

This year's glossy publication includes articles on Michigan's five national parks, beach towns, one-of-a-kind restaurants, even dog-friendly destinations! To view online, visit For a print copy, please contact my office at 1-855-347-8028.

Hunters: Apply for elk and bear licenses now through June 1

The Department of Natural Resources reminds hunters that applications for Michigan elk and bear hunting licenses are available now through June 1. There will be 100 elk licenses and nearly 7,000 bear licenses available for the 2015 hunting seasons.

Hunters can apply online at, at any authorized license agent or at a DNR Customer Service Center. Check the 2015 Michigan Elk Digest and 2015 Michigan Black Bear Digest for more details about the application processes. Find the publications at


SD28 Map
The 28th Senate District

The 28th Senate District consists of the cities of Cedar Springs, Grandville, Rockford, Walker, Wyoming city, and the townships of Algoma, Alpine, Byron, Cannon, Courtland, Grattan, Nelson, Oakfield, Plainfield, Solon, Sparta, Spencer, Tyrone, and Vergennes in Kent County.

Contact Me

Serving the constituents of the 28th Senate district is very important to me and I encourage you to contact me with any state issues. You may contact me by calling toll-free 1-855-347-8028 or emailing

I look forward to serving you, and I encourage you to contact me if I can assist you in any way or if you have an idea to help move our state forward.
Thank you for subscribing to my electronic newsletter! I am honored to represent you in the 28th Senate District of Michigan.

As always, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Please feel free to forward this on to others who may be interested in receiving the 28th District E-news. You may sign up for it also at my website.

Senator Peter MacGregor

715 Farnum Bldg. P.O. Box 30036
Lansing, MI 48909-7536

Phone: (517) 373-0797

Please include name, address, and phone number.

Visit my website at: